Friday, May 23, 2008

Quality, Not Quantity

Have you ever been to one of those restaurants that gives you tons of food that isn't very good, but it's really cheap? Sometimes quality is worth paying a little extra for. That analogy will make sense shortly...

I was reading a book lately and one of the questions it asked was are you seeking more alone time or more group/relationship time? I would have answered the question differently a few years ago than now. I've been feeling more alone lately and seeking more group/relationship time. Friends are dating, getting married, having kids, moving, changing jobs/careers and those all impact relationships, which are all normal parts of life. But here's the thing, when I was in college or even my early/mid 20's, I was always doing stuff and had lots of relationships but so many of them weren't healthy. I continued to invest in relationships that continued to bring me down or were just unhealthy...Ok, going back to my earlier analogy, I'm now seeking quality friendships/relationships not quantity. I'd rather have a few closer friends that I don't always get to see but I know care about me, than 20-30 surface relationships. A wise friend once told me you should be able to count your close friends on 2 hands, more than that could be too much unless you have time for all of them.

So what does this mean? Not sure yet, it'll be another interesting ride of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home